Saturday, January 5, 2013

Fish Out Of Water. In Water.

Finally back to blogging! I feel a week (more maybe? My concept of time is very fuzzy) is a long enough time to pull myself together somewhat and make coherent sentences. Maybe...well I will try to give you a brief idea of what has happened thus far.

New Years Eve: white party on an island. White as in everyone wore white, not everyone was a racist.  Wasn't sure what the fashion scene on the Gold Coast was, so showed up essentially dressed as a boy in shorts, loose t-shirt, boat shoes. Turns out girls still make an effort, even though it's hot and they live by the beach. Oh well, I saw my first kangaroo and drank all the cheap vodka I could and danced like a prancing reindeer and only cried once. Had a typical Canadian moment and threw up on the beach, heat exhaustion + jet lag + being a wussy. I recovered, thanks in part to Alex's watchful father-eque eye.

New Years Day: beach, watched the boys surf for the first time and am definitely into it. Much more interesting than watching people snowboard. Swam a bit, which helped with my hangover (amazing!). Went to an afterparty and danced like a crazy kangaroo on speed. They have this amazing pre-workout drink powder called thermojet, which is kind of like ecstasy, minus thinking that you are in love with everyone and then wanting to kill yourself the next day. Was still suffering a bit of jet lag though, and wound up laying on the ground away from the rest of the group waiting for a cab, looking up at the stars and singing to myself because I was cranky and missing home.

Jan. 2 & 3: suffocated with boys. Observed many things such as picking noses, commenting on/critiquing every girl in sight (the feminist in me was slightly irritated), general disregard for shoes, cutlery,  shirts, vegetables. I love hanging out with Alex, but being treated like one of the guys is something I haven't been exposed to in a long time. Still had fun, but was happy to see Denton in all his  homosexual, golden-tanned glory.

Jan. 3 - Present: was fed up with my haircut and had it basically all chopped off. Feeling a bit like a lesbian, but mostly feeling very light and edgy. Have been suffering from foot leprosy since NYE and I think I will finally cave and buy some ointment of some kind at the chemist today (you win this time, sand mites). Been staying with Denton and meeting his friends and going to nude beaches and it's been absolutely amazing! Feeling much more settled and calm, not so much like a fish out of water. Or, more appropriately, a bear out of the forest. Hah ha haahhhh. Sorry.

It's strange to be away from my routine, and everyone I was used to talking to on a daily basis. But it's incredibly freeing to know that I can pick up and do whatever I want whenever I want. On a whim I decided to go to Brisbane to visit my good friend Bondy after I leave Sydney, where he has assured me we will misbehave like beautiful young hipsters, possibly get married, and generally have massive amounts of fun.

I can already hear myself using the words and phrasing of the people here - it's just so catchy. Time seems to move slowly and there is a feeling in the air, even in the city, that people are just relaxed. I think I will head out for a run, and will try not to trip over the tree branches that sometimes pop up out of the sidewalk. Have already suffered massive leg bruising from unknown forces, as well as tearing up my hand while climbing a tree. But salt water is great for healing and I am a resilient fawn. I promise my writing will become more cohesive...there's just so much to do, to think about, to see. It's hard to nail these experiences down with mere letters and words.

No comments:

Post a Comment