Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Random Smattering of Thoughts

Well my horoscope said “you should exercise your creativity as much as you possibly can today – dance, sing, rhyme and riddle”. As I proved in the grade 8 student council race for social convenor, and again at Bobby’s house last Friday with the T-pain microphone, I can’t really rhyme. So my options are some sort of new age street performance downtown on my lunch break today, or a blog update...I choose you, blog!

It’s been hard for me to think of something to write about, mostly because I have a viewer counter on my page now, so I know how many people have been perusing my ramblings. I decided yesterday though, that I need to focus on how I write, rather than what I write about and who I’m writing to. I’m fully aware that most of my humor and appeal is the sarcastic honesty I provide on a daily basis. But saying an offhanded, racially biased comment to a friend is different than posting it on the great interweb. That’s something I really struggle with in this new age of connectivity, who I am online and who I am in person.
My fear of technology aside, something that’s been on my mind a lot lately is my time here in Calgary. I moved here for a boy, 3 years ago this month. I remember that time with a bittersweet smile. We were so excited, so hopeful, so utterly clueless. I give him serious props for being willing to move in with a 20 year old, recently divorced, with no money or good sense. The first few months were beautiful, everything I had hoped for. Then slowly, between our opposing schedules, gradually differing ‘lifestyle choices’, and my emotional instability we grew apart. I can easily say that leaving him was the hardest thing I have ever done, and I went about it completely the wrong way. Just now, 2 years later, I can finally think about him without feeling an overwhelming sense of loss. I’ve achieved peace, to some degree.

And here I am, two or three pseudo relationships later, in a very decent job, with a great and varied friend group, and I have no idea why I’m still in this city. It’s not like I don’t like Calgary, it’s a good place to live, a great place to make money. But most people seem to have the settle-down-and-move-to-the –suburbs mentality. Since I’ve been doing my best to go through life backwards, getting married at 19 and all, I’m just now at the point where I don’t want to settle down. I don’t particularly want that all-consuming, great-love relationship (right now). I don’t want a career. I want to get away. I want to do something spectacular.
This may come as a surprise to some, but I’m a very shy person. I don’t like to go outside my comfort zone, and I get uncomfortable in social situations quite often. I’ve learned to fake my way through these instances, usually by acting a fool. But truthfully I love to have a plan. I have an inherent need to know what’s going to happen next. So now, in my 24th year, I think it’s time for a change. I think it’s time for an adventure. A very dear friend passed away recently, she was also just 24, and no one saw it coming. We always say ‘live like you’ll die tomorrow’ but very few actually do it. I’m not saying blow all your money and ride the rails like a 1930’s hobo, but take a chance. Even a small risk can have huge rewards. I’m pondering mine now.

No comments:

Post a Comment