Thursday, November 22, 2012

Blue Skies

I was just about to start on another post full of self-revelation and the deep, inner workings of my brain...but then I looked outside and in the reflection of the glass-covered building beside me, I saw a sliver of bright blue sky. 

I've been discovering (and revealing) a lot about myself in the past month, and sometimes it can get pretty exhausting. I feel like I'm making progress and I'm very happy with that - but there are still times when I have to just sit back and exist. No worrying about self improvement, no analyzing for honesty and true meaning, no discussion on the pros and cons of this or that, no grieving for what might have been... Today is a day to be content. 

I'm very happy today because I cut my hair last night. Not like I cut it personally, because that would not have  turned out well. Speaking of, you know in movies where some chick is on the run so she has to cut her hair to change her identity, and there's a shot of her in the scuzzy bathroom of a highway gas station, taking a pocket knife and hacking away at her locks. Next scene she is sporting a super-cute pixie cut and buying a coffee. There is NO WAY she could pull that off all on her own. If some stylist from behind the scenes hadn't popped up, she would look like a total lunatic and someone would alert the authorities immediately. My point - people who cut their own hair look crazy. So, like any crazy person pretending to be normal, I went to the hair salon. 

I thought about it a lot, because I loved having long hair. Hair whipping, hair mustaches, hair-sock-buns, hair beards, etc. It was sexy to flip over my shoulder, pretending I didn't know people were looking at me (I knew). But lately it had begun to feel like dead weight. Something I was just hanging on to for no real reason. So chop chop and snip snip. I thought pretty hard about asking to take some of it home, so I could give it to my loved ones for Christmas this year, but I realized I forgot to bring a container, so looks like everyone will be getting cookies instead (bor-ing). And today, I feel so much lighter! 

There are times to challenge yourself, to examine your feelings and face up to the facts. There are times for change, to take a deep breath and let go of your baggage. And there are times to smile, and know that the universe is always unfolding as it should.  

So today, with my freshly shorn hair, my thoughts are on appreciating the little things. The snow clinging to every tree branch when I walked outside this morning. The bergamot and lavender notes in my tea. A view of the clear winter sky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment