Friday, November 30, 2012

The Big Reveal

So I decided that this Friday would be different. Despite what the title may suggest, I will not be posting nudie pics, so that's not the kind of different I'm talking about.

Different because today is the day I quit my job. Despite what the dramatic new paragraph would suggest, I will not storm in to my boss's office yelling "Merry Fucking Christmas, I quit!" while throwing around papers and kicking over garbage cans (although it's obviously crossed my mind). No no, I have a very professional letter all ready to go. I'm just waiting for the opportune moment...ie, after I've had my lunch. If they don't take it to well, they may ask me to leave immediately, in which case I will need a full stomach. So I can puke in the foyer before I leave. Just kidding, that's disgusting I don't know why I wrote that.

I'll finish up this entry with the reaction of the man, soon-to-be-formerly-known-as my boss. But for now let me talk to you! You're obviously more important anyway, even though you read this blog for free and in no way contribute to keeping me fed or clothed. But you feed my ego I mean my artistic spirit, and I appreciate that (can you tell I'm in a good mood? It's hard to focus).

Thus, it is finally time to let you in on my plan.
Step 1: quit job
Step 2: go through all my shit and give away everything I don't want/need
Step 3: spend time bonding with my family and friends to make sure they don't forget me (as if that's even possible)
Step 4: get badass new haircut
Step 5: there are too many steps in this plan, but I can't stop now
Step 6: get on a mutherfucking plane to SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

Yes, I'm leaving all the glamour and lights and oil money of Calgary, Alberta so I can wander around that beautiful land down under, mooching off my friends and getting over my crippling fear of sharks. And spiders. And snakes. Ok, let's just focus on the fact that it's summer there and I'm going on an amazing adventure!

I've never done anything like this before and I have been alternating between laughing from excitement and crying from terror for about a month now. Thank god for my Aussie pals for constantly expressing how excited they are to see me! I don't think I would have made it to this point without them. Because I am afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. But, as I have been documenting in this blog for the past few months, I'm tired of being afraid! I don't want to hold anything back and I don't want to miss out on any opportunities.

This whole plan kind of started as a white lie. As much as I love and missed my Aus friends once they went back to their homeland, I didn't have any real intention of going there. When my friend Erica passed away so suddenly in February, it was such a shock, and it made me seriously reevaluate what I was doing with my life. It was actually at her wake, where I was trying to be a functioning human and attempting small talk with  people I hadn't seen in 7 or 8 years. They were asking me about my future plans, and I just started saying "Yeah I think I'll travel around Australia for a few months, then go to University somewhere." I guess I said it enough times that it stuck. A while later I realized that if I went away for a few months, then came back to this unfulfilling job in a city I don't really care about, I would probably go crazy. So I started reading up on working visas and making a half-assed effort at saving money.

And here we are today! The plane ticket is booked, my 12-month visa is approved, and I only have a few things left to do (yes, having a massive cry at my birthday/farewell party is one of those things). I can't really express how excited I am to be setting off on my own. I know people there, of course, some of my best friends in the world happen to be in Aus. But I've never gone on a trip independent of someone else, or with my own agenda. It's a fantastic feeling! I've even found a commune I'm looking into staying at for a while! And so this blog will get a lot more exciting, with stories of my adventures, more pictures of me, and less pictures I steal off thechive.com

I'm rambling - - - off to eat my lunch!

(three hours later....) Lunch is eaten and notice is given. He took it really really well and I have nothing interesting to report. Except that I'm letting Frittany out tonight to celebrate!! Lock up your Justin Bieber life-size cut outs!!

1 comment:

  1. I literally just sent off one of my best friends in the entire world for her world wind trip to aus...it was a good cry...have fun down there!! I can't wait to hear all about it! :)

    ReplyDelete